Until today, a new revolution has taken place in the Dimensity series, which has appeared with the 7 nm process. Dimensity 1200 and 1100, the first to use the Cortex A-78 core, are MediaTek’s first 6 nm chipsets.
MediaTek Dimensity 1200 appeared with new features
The Dimensity 1200 is configured with the A-78 core main core running at 3.0GHz, three A78 cores at 2.6GHz and power-saving A55 cores running at 2.0GHz.
In comparison, the Dimensity 1000+ processor used an old A77 core running at 2.6 GHz. While these numbers gave exactly the same results as ARM’s official estimates, the 3.0 GHz A78 turned out to be 20 percent faster than the 2.6GHz A77. This is for single-threaded performance of course, because only one core in each chipset reaches these frequencies. Compared to the previous generations of the Dimensity 1200, overall CPU performance increased 22 percent and power efficiency increased 25 percent.
As for the Dimensity 1100, it doesn’t have such a main core. All four Cortex-A78 cores run at 2.6GHz. However, even without higher clock speeds, the 1100 has an architectural advantage, so the Dimensity has an edge over 1000+ in both single and multi-core performance.
Both chipsets use the same Mali-G77 graphics processor. Dimensity 1200 supports 168 Hz screen refresh rate, and its 5-core ISP can handle up to 200 Megapixel camera sensors. Also, with support for progressive HDR for 4K videos (three exposures are combined in a single frame), the dynamic range is increased by 40 percent.
Dimensity 1100 chip is also very powerful, with 144 Hz screens and support for a maximum 108 Megapixel camera sensor. Both processors are 20 percent faster in processing Night Shot and have special Night Mode for panoramas
Several companies, including Realme, Xiaomi, Vivo, and Oppo, support using MediaTek’s new Dimensity 1200 and 1100 chips. The new processors are expected to be launched with new phones in late March or early April.
MediaTek Dimensity 1200 specifications
- CPU Type 1: ARM Cortex-A78 @ up to 3GHz
- CPU Type 2: ARM Cortex-A55 @ up to 2GHz
- Cores: Eight (8)
- CPU Bit: 64 bit
- Maximum Screen Resolution: 2520 x 1080
- Maximum Refresh Rate: 168 Hz
Memory And Storage
- Memory Type: LPDDR4x
- Maximum Memory Frequency: 4266 Mbps
- Max Memory Size: 16GB
- Storage type: UFS 3.1
- Cellular Technologies: 2G / 3G / 4G / 5G Multi-Mode, 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA), 5G Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x / EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), EDGE, 4G FDD / TDD, 5G FDD / TDD, GSM, TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- Specific Functions: SA and NSA modes; SA Option2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR TDD Band, NR FDD Band, DSS, NR DL 2CC, 200 MHz bandwidth, 4 × 4 MIMO, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, 2 × 2 MIMO, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- Fastest Download Speed: 4.7 GB / s
- Fastest Upload Speed: 2.5GB / s
- GNSS: GPS L1CA + L5 / BeiDou B1I + B2a / Glonass L1OF / Galileo E1 + E5a / QZSS L1CA + L5 / NavIC
- Wi-Fi Antenna: 2T2R
- Wireless internet: Wi-Fi 6 (a / b / g / n / ac / ax)
- Bluetooth Version: 5.2
- FM Radio: Yes
- Maximum Camera Support: 32 Megapixels + 16 Megapixels, 200 Megapixels
- Maximum Video Capture Resolution: 3840 x 2160
- Camera Features: HDR-ISP (3 + 2) / Video HDR / Video NR / Video Bokeh / Video EIS / AI-Shutter / AI-AE / AI-AF / AI-AWB / AI-NR HDR / AI-HDR / AI -FD
- GPU Type: ARM Mali-G77 MC9
- Video Coding: H.264, H.265 / HEVC
- Video Playback: H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP-9, AV1