Man dies after self-medication with chloroquine in the USA

0

A couple who ingested chloroquine phosphate, believing it to be the drug being used in patients with the new Coronavirus, were intoxicated in the United States. The 68-year-old man died while his wife remains in Phoenix, Arizona.

According to NBC, the two mistook the substance used to treat parasites in fish with hydroxychloroquine, a drug used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, among other diseases, which is being tested to combat Covid-19. They hoped to prevent the disease that has killed thousands of people.

In an interview with the broadcaster, the 61-year-old woman said that she and her husband were healthy and had no symptoms. However, they were concerned about getting the virus. Hearing the name chloroquine cited by Donald Trump as a possible drug to treat the disease, she recalled that she had the substance at home, used in her aquarium.

According to the patient’s reports, she and her husband mixed chloroquine phosphate with soda and ingested it. But 20 minutes after eating, they were sick, feeling feverish and having trouble breathing, and were rescued. The man died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Other cases of poisoning
In addition to the American couple, several other cases of poisoning were reported after Trump’s statements about the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat the new Coronavirus last Thursday (19).

According to Forbes, many people who tried to use the drug in Nigeria were intoxicated or overdosed. But over there, they used the conventional version of the drug, unlike what happened in Arizona.

It is important to note that the drug is still being tested to verify its effectiveness against Coronavirus. For now, it has not been released for this use. And it is worth remembering: always avoid self-medication.

See Also
Chloroquine: French and Chinese believe in the effectiveness of the drug

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here