According to several media reports, all members of the female group GWSN won a lawsuit against THE WAVE MUSIC on January 1 and terminated their contracts. It is reported that the company did not respond to the lawsuit, so the decision was made by default.
GWSN debuted in September 2018 under the management of Kiwi Media Group. Then, when Kiwi Media Group went bankrupt in July 2020, the band signed a contract with The WAVE MUSIC.
However, after this change in GWSN, there was a sharp reduction in promotions at the end of 2021. Then, from 2022 to the present day, GWSN suspended all activities, which made fans wonder where the participants were.
Unfortunately, as it has become an all-too-familiar story in K-pop, the lawsuit also revealed the treatment GWSN has been subjected to.
Court documents showed that from February 2022, all participants were evicted from their housing because the agency stopped paying rent, and in July of the same year, the dance hall emptied, and all employees and managers responsible for GWSN left the agency.
It also turned out that two foreign participants, Mia from Japan and Soso from Taiwan, now have criminal records because the agency did not pay for their visa formalities.
According to the report, The WAVE MUSIC also failed to provide sufficient evidence that participants were paid a fair share of wages.
In response to the result, the GWSN side issued a short statement.
“Managing signed artists is one of the most important tasks of The WAVE MUSIC, as stated in the exclusive contracts.
The lack of care for the members, as well as the failure to provide transparent financial reports, undermined the trust between The WAVE MUSIC and the GWSN members. Consequently, the contracts can no longer be considered valid. »
Kpop fans and netizens reacted to the news. They commented:
- “I can’t believe that The WAVE MUSIC decided to neglect the members.”
- “Criminal charges? What the hell is this? “
- “Evicted from the hostel for non-payment of rent? And do foreign members now have criminal records because of immigration law fines? How cruel is this to GWSN?!”
- “I remember this band because I found the Japanese member quite attractive. I can’t believe this is happening to them…”
- “Insufficiently qualified management companies should NOT sign contracts with foreign citizens.”
— Criminal record because of immigration laws, eh? It sucks. I used to think GWSN had a lot of potential… I wish all the best to the participants.
- “A CRIMINAL CASE? What the hell is this…”
- WAVE MUSIC had to cease operations AFTER taking care of contracts. I can’t believe that the participants were still connected to the management, even though it cost them fines.”
- “WTF… what are the participants going to do? What is it?
- “EH?! However, I still listen to GWSN songs. I can’t believe this is happening to the participants. I’m confused… THE WAVE MUSIC just flew out of their head.”
We hope that things will go better for the participants.