Climate Change will put 400 million people at risk of flooding in 2100

0

The researchers united data from 11 satellite missions to uncover the impacts of climate change over the next 80 years. From 1992 to 2017, Greenland and Antarctica lost 6.4 trillion tons of ice. Melting ice caused the sea level to rise 17.9 millimeters.

Scientists from 50 international organizations came together and conducted a study on the effects of climate change on Greenland and Antarctica. According to the results of the study, sea levels will increase by about 17 centimeters until 2100.

If global warming continues as it is now, sea levels will rise 17 centimeters. This 17 cm rise in the sea levels will face the risk of flooding about 400 million people living on the coasts.

In the study called Ice Plate Mass Balance Contrast Exercise (IMBIE), the mass, volume, flow and gravity changes of ice sheets were determined. The data of 11 different satellite missions and 26 studies were gathered for this study.

As a result of the study, scientists determined that Antarctica and Greenland lost 6.4 trillion tons of ice between 1992 and 2017. This huge ice loss caused the seas on Earth to rise 17.8 mm. 60 percent of this ice loss that caused the sea levels to rise was in Greenland, while the remaining 40 percent occurred in Antarctica.

Andrew Shepherd of Leeds University, one of the authors of the article published in the journal Nature, where the results of the research are described, explained that the rise in sea levels threatened people living on the coast. Shepherd added that sea levels would rise by 17 cm at the end of the century if the Earth continues to heat the same way.

Erik Ivins, a scientist at NASA, one of the authors of the article, said satellite images of polar glaciers are important in terms of ice losses due to climate change and rising sea levels. Ivins also stated that computer simulations obtained from satellite images reveal climate change scenarios more strikingly.

Scientists who conducted the research stated that the continuation of the glacier layers will increase the levels of the oceans in the first place. The rising level of the seas in the oceans can endanger the habitat of people living in coastal areas.


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here