How to find the product key to upgrade to the Windows 11 operating system that Microsoft released a few months ago?
6 years after the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft announced the Windows 11 version in the past months and recently made it available for download for everyone. Windows 10 users can switch to the new system via direct update.
Those who want can download an ISO file from Microsoft’s site and do a clean install. But what about the license? How to find the system’s license key after upgrading to Windows 11? Here are 4 methods we have compiled for you.
What is the product key for Windows?
A product key is basically a 25-character code that you can use to activate the Windows operating system. As we know, Windows is not a completely free operating system and you need to purchase the product key to enjoy many features. However, if you buy a laptop with the Windows operating system preinstalled, it will be activated with a product key. This is the Windows product key format:
PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX
However, if you are building a custom PC, you will need to purchase the retail product key for Windows. You can continue to use this retail key as you upgrade your hardware over time. On the other hand, the product key that comes with Windows laptops is engraved on the motherboard and can only be used on that laptop. These product keys are called OEM license keys.
How can I check if my computer with Windows 11 is active?
To check if your laptop or PC is enabled, just go to the Settings app. You can open the Settings app using the “Windows key + I” keyboard shortcut. After that, go to System > Activation. From this menu, you can check whether your Windows 11 computer is active.
“Activation status” must be enabled for you to find your product key in Windows 11.
Method 1: Find Windows 11 Product Key with Command Prompt
- Search for Command Prompt from the Windows search bar. Next, click on the “Run as Administrator” option in the right pane of Command Prompt search results.
- Copy and paste the following command in the command window. After that press Enter.
wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- You will instantly see your product key in the Command Prompt window. This is the easiest method to find your product key in Windows 11.
Method 2: Find Windows 11 product key using third-party app
- Another easy way to find your Windows 11 product key is to use a third-party utility called ShowKeyPlus. You can download ShowKeyPlus for free from the Microsoft Store.
- After installing the application, open the ShowKeyPlus application on your Windows 11 PC. Basically, you will display the Installed Key, which is your computer’s product key, on the home page. However, you can also find other useful information such as Build version, Product ID, OEM key availability.
Method 3: Check the license label on your computer
If you have a Windows laptop, the license label usually comes affixed to the bottom of the computer. It’s worth noting that if you bought the laptop running Windows 10 or 7, the license key will still work on your upgraded Windows 11 PC without any issues.
But if you bought the product key online, you have to search for the email or invoice slip and find the license key. However, if you obtained the product key from a retailer, look inside the package or disc to find the key.
Method 4: Contact system administrator for product key
If you have a computer running Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise managed by your organization/business, you cannot access the license key yourself. In this case, you will need to contact your system administrator who has deployed the operating system to your machine.
You will also need to contact your company’s IT department to find the product key for your system. Only an administrator can access the product key, as these machines usually have MSDN volume licenses provided by Microsoft.